Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Update on Daniel

Well I guess this blog will serve a little different of a purpose for the next few weeks. From looking at the live feed, it seems that some of you were looking for an update on Daniel here. The hospital does have wireless access, so hopefully I will be able to update nightly (but no promises).

Here's the story:

A little before 7am Tuesday morning, Daniel got in an accident about 3 minutes away from home. He hit a large truck that was being used from debris pickup from the hurricane (from what I understand). It is the type of garbage truck that loads the large dumpsters.

I received a call probably about 7:05-7:10. I was told that he was pinned in but okay and talking. I quickly loaded the boys to drop off at the babysitters and Wes at my grandma's. Shane met me at mom's to drive me. Traffic was extremely backed-up, so we parked and ran. My mom was about 1 minute ahead of us. As I told Shane to run ahead to check on him, Uncle Blaise ran with me. The police officer and my mom met me well before the scene. They would not let me go near and instead send me to the hospital to wait. It took 1 1/2 hours to remove him from the vehicle. Due to the horrible fog and other circumstance, Air Med was not yet at the scene. The decision was made to put him in the ambulance instead to get him care as soon as possible.

He has extensive injuries on his left side. He underwent surgery on his hip, femur bone (thigh area), and tibula (right under his knee). This is giving him the most pain right now.

As of now, he is scheduled from surgery Friday for his left arm. His 3 bones (the one above the elbow and 2 in the lower arm) are broken and elbow fractured/broken. He also has a bone in his face (cheek bone I guess) that is fractured. I am not sure the extent right now.

He will be in ICU for a few days. They are concerned about blood clots and fragments or other things that may travel. He had so many bones broken.

I am still a little unsure about everything as yesterday was such a blur. So much happened so quickly, but yet not quickly enough. Everyone's prayers helped. He was lucky. Bones can be fixed; it just takes time. He will have a long road ahead with probably 2 weeks in the hospital and then move up to the rehab unit.

I have had a lot of questions about calls. Please feel free to call me. If I am unable to answer, I will try to call you back. I am communicating this way since I am not able to tap into my hotmail account using this wireless service.

I have had so many offers about the boys (obviously they do not know the twins hit terrible twos!) I know they are in great hands which is a relief. We are so lucky to have such large families and plenty great friends. I don't know how I could handle this alone!

Again, it will be a long road, but he is doing great. He made it through surgery wonderfully! I am telling him about everyone calling and coming by. I think he was really moved by the amount of people that love him so much (I will leave jokes for later).

Please continue praying. Leave messages here or email me at my school account as I cannot check hotmail. Also call. So much time alone in ICU will drive him nuts but letting him know who has been here has made him feel better!

I love you all and will try to update sometime today/tonight.

2 comments:

Jennifer Walker said...

My Mom called us with the news yesterday. We've been thinking about y'all and praying since. I wish we could offer more, but since we're not there, we'll continue to pray.

Thanks for the update, Tammy, but don't over do it.

Tell Daniel we're thinking about him and hoping for as speedy a recovery as possible.

Glenn Linden Gravois said...

Im sorry I cannot be there until the weekend but I am here for ANYTHING you need. I dont care how wild the twins are, Glenn will be right behind them. I want to help and do anything I can for you. Keep the kids, clean your house, give you someone to talk to. You know I’m great to cry with. LOL You’re always so strong and taking care of everyone, this is not easy for you either. So if you need your sister, I’m here. You have been there many times for me and I’m not done yet! My heart goes out to you and y’all are in my prayers. I hope you know how much I love all of you. I will see everyone this weekend but until then I am a phone call away.

God Bless You
Love always,
Shannon